In the following guide we provide details on how to create a Flash Slideshow using a template provided at the bottom of the article, however should you require an iOS or HTML slideshow, simply click the links below to be taken directly to those guides:
Note: In order to create a slideshow, users must have Adobe Flash Professional installed. The guide is step-by-step and therefore only a basic knowledge of the Flash platform is required.
In YUDU Publisher we offer an inbuilt tool for the use of slideshows on the iOS version that is very simple and intuitive, however due to the nature of the flash based digital publications a template must be used offline then uploaded to the digital publication directly.
We have attached the template we are going to be using during this tutorial at the very bottom of the article and we would advise downloading this to view the slideshow during production.
Understanding the interface
Opening the template in flash you will be met with the following screen:
- The central area is called the stage and is where we will be placing our content.
- To the right are both the Properties of the content you currently have selected and a Library of the content in the flash file (such as images, buttons, etc).
- Finally at the bottom we have the timeline that contains the different elements of your Flash file - here we can see there are elements for Actions, Controls and Images.
You can see that on the timeline to the right of the Images element there are individual squares with a singular dot in - this is a frame of the slideshow where an individual image will be placed.
Ensuring images are the same size as the flash file
To ensure that the images are the same size as the flash file you are going to create, simply open the template and click on the grey background. To the right of the screen in the Properties section you can see the size of the flash file, and therefore in this example your images must be 800 pixels by 520 pixels to ensure it fits correctly (this can be adjusted if you require):
Placing images into the slideshow
To place your first image, select the Images element by clicking on it and ensure that the red timeline slider is placed over the first frame (this example is given in the above image).
To bring in the image, from the menu at the very top select File -> Import -> Import to Stage...
Select the image to import from your computer and presuming that the image is the same size as the stage, you will be met with the screen below:
Add further images
To add further images to your slideshow, click and hold the red slider on your timeline and move it to the second space in your timeline as below (note that the square in the first frame has now changed from transparent to a filled grey to show that the frame has content within it):
Publishing your slideshow
Once all of the images have been added you will want to produce the .SWF file that you can upload to YUDU Publisher and place it onto your digital publication.
In the menu at the top select File -> Publish Settings...
From the following menu the highlighted options are what will require your attention:
- Ensure that Flash (.swf) is selected from the left hand menu
- The Output file is the destination of the .swf, so you may wish to change this to an appropriate place on your machine.
- JPEG Quality - set this to 100 for the best image quality
- Enable JPEG deblocking - tick this box to maintain image quality, specifically on images that are small/compressed.
Once the above are checked and correct, hit Publish at the bottom of the screen to publish your flash file ready for upload to YUDU Publisher.
Adding the slideshow to your digital publication
The file is now ready to be uploaded to YUDU Publisher and added to the digital publication using the overlay editor, for which a guide can be found below: